Who We Are
This group is hosted by women programmers with the goal to build a welcoming and beginner friendly environment to learn, in order to grow diversity in the programming field.
We embrace the Lambda Jam Conference Diversity Policy and welcome people of any gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, size, nationality, sexual orientation, ability level, neurotype, religion, elder status, family structure, culture, subculture, political opinion, identity, and self-identification.
This group is hosted by women programmers with the goal to build a welcoming environment to learn and to grow diversity in the programming field.
We have three main goals:
- Connect women programmers and supporters so that we can have friends with whom to attend other programming events in town.
- Facilitate discovery and learning of new tech subjects from a speaker who has spent time studying, compiling, and translating information so a beginner to that topic can understand.
- Provide an encouraging space where people can gain speaking experience, and hopefully go on to speak at local user groups, conferences, etc… thus increasing minority visibility and inspiring other underrepresented people in tech.
Meetups are held on the second Monday each month. Come to code, learn, meet like-minded people, and have fun!
We meet on the second Monday of each month at Eventbrite Nashville, which is located in Cummins Station at 209 Tenth Avenue South, Suite 204, Nashville, TN 37217. Detailed directions and parking options are detailed below.
To confirm the next meeting time, and to RSVP, please visit our page on Meetup.com
Next Meeting Information
- 5:30-6:30 – Arrive, socialize, hack, eat
- 6:30-7:30 – Lecture
- 7:30-8:00 – Wrap-up
What to Bring
- A laptop, tablet, smartphone, or pen/paper if you would like. None of these are required though.
- Questions on any tech topics or careers in tech.
- Any guests who are also interested in learning to code and/or increasing diverse participation in tech.
- Our meeting overlaps with dinner. Feel free to bring a packed meal or pick up something on the way there.
What to Expect
- Free to attend.
- Free internet.
- Our group has adopted the Hacker School Social Rules. We seek to provide an environment of encouragement, openness, and support so all who attend can feel comfortable, welcome, and free to ask questions and grow.
209 Tenth Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37217
Getting into the Eventbrite Office
To get into the Eventbrite offices, use the South Lobby entrance by the Cinco de Mayo restaurant (pictured here). The Eventbrite office will be straight ahead.
Enter the double doors and we will greet you at the front desk, sign you in via iPad, and show you where to go from there.
There are many parking options near Cummins Station, ranging from free to pricey. We have listed the options starting with the cheapest options.
Free Bike Parking
Free bike parking is available in front of Cummins Station. Don't forget your bike lock and reflectors for riding home at night!
Less Than $1 or Free Street Parking
All of the parallel parking spaces along the front of Cummins Station (and the nearby streets) are free after 6pm. A few of these spots are reserved for valet in the evenings, so if you see a valet sign, park elsewhere.
If you arrive earlier than 6pm, put in just enough exact change to cover you until the spots turn free at 6PM.
Paid Lot Parking - Further, But Less Expensive
The Frist parking lot, across the street from Cummins Station, is the cheapest paid parking option.
Rates: $1.50 first 1/2 hour; $6 first hour; $3 each additional hour; $24 daily max; Special events pricing as posted.
Note: this parking lot is on the north side of Cummins Station, and Eventbrite is on the south side. However, you can enter Cummins Station from the North and walk through the inside of the building to get to the Eventbrite office.
More info on The First parking lot: http://www.parkitdowntown.com/nashville/frist-lot-ii
Paid Lot Parking - Closer, But More Expensive
Two paid parking lots are available directly across from Cummins Station. Last time we inquired, the rates was $6/hour after 5PM, with a maximum evening cost of $12, unless there is a special event pricing in effect.
If you eat in a restaurant in Cummins Station, you can get your parking validated, which reduces the cost to free in many cases.
Details on the 209 10th Ave South parking lot: http://www.parkitdowntown.com/nashville/cummins-station
Details on the 308 10th Ave South parking lot: http://www.parkitdowntown.com/nashville/308-10th-ave-s
Resources for Beginners
If you've always wanted to learn to program or are just a little bit curious, we'd be happy to help you learn as you work through the programming tutorial of your choice (or we can suggest one based on what you'd like to learn).
Suggestions of places you could start:
Other Local Groups
You can find lots of other local tech meetups in Nashville at cal.nashvl.org's Nashville Tech Calendar. You can also find lots of local tech meetups on Meetup.com.